Thursday, March 18, 2010

Sbarro in Shibuya. Has real NY style pizza finally come Tokyo Japan?!?


I've heard about Sbarro's (an Italian fast food chain from NY) plan to open stores in Japan over a year ago, and finally noticed one preparing to open right by JR Shibuya station by the end of March.

Hopefully the pizza at the Japanese-run Sbarro will be somewhat close to what I used to get back home.

Up until now I've had to make do with pizza by the slice at Costco to even come close to NY style pizza. Will I be able to enjoy thick melted mozzarella cheese, sweet and tangy tomato sauce, on a thin crispy crust with maybe some chunks of sausage or slices of pepperoni piled on a slice bigger than the palm of my hand? My hopes are high. But then again, this is Japan so I shouldn't be surprised if the pizza ends up small, overpriced and piled high with corn nibblets, and squid.

Sbarro Japan News release
Sbarro wiki
スバーロ日本 Sbarro Japan site


Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been there twice. The first time (shortly after it opened), I was very happy with their stuffed pizza. But it may have been the honeymoon stage. My second time there last week, I was quite disappointed. Regular cheese was small and sloppy. As a native New Yorker, it really didn't live up to my childhood standards. I pray for their liveliness, as I too have been waiting (10 years!) for good NY pizza in Tokyo. Best, T

July 6, 2010 at 12:48 PM  
Blogger ken212 said...

Anon-Haven't been there in a few weeks, but last time the slices were ok. Definitely not true NYC style, but I guess between this and the Costco pizza slices (have you tried them? They're not bad), we'll have to make do.

July 21, 2010 at 10:59 PM  
Blogger ken212 said...

OK, real New York pizza has arrived in Tokyo Japan. We can finally get a decent slice of New York style pizza at Rocco's! see my latest post.
http://newyorkerinjapan.blogspot.com/2011/01/authentic-new-york-style-pizza-by-slice.html

Authentic New York Style Pizza by the slice is finally in Tokyo.

January 17, 2011 at 5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home